Pictured: St. Patrick, famous for conversions.
When very religious people whose religion is one to which I do not belong talk to me, I am astonished at their lack of interest in my soul.
How do I know? I know from the degree of tolerance they give my divergent beliefs. No fundamentalist Christian, Mormon, Muslim, uh...whatever else there is out there that considers proselytizing a core virtue should ever be that way. It's taught that they are out there saving souls from punishment and a life of purposeless monotony without their particular brand of religion. They know I am not of that brand of religion, hence they do not care to bother themselves to save my soul.
Imagine you were talking to someone and he said "Oh, by the way, I'm going to go jump in front of a bus right now," and you made no effort to save him, but instead said "You know, I choose to not jump in front of busses, but you are making a perfectly legitimate life choice." That's pretty much what non proselytizing members of proselytizing religions or denominations of religions do.
I spoke to one today. I asked her why she believed the way she did.
"I have faith that I'm doing the right thing, and that Catholocism is the best way to be Christian."
"What do you mean by faith?"
"I mean that I know in my heart that Jesus is my saviour and his bible is true."
"You know? How do you know?"
"You just know. I know it more than I know I am here and you are here."
She has faith. She knows it as much as she knows she is in a shared reality with me, possibly more. She knows it as much as you know that busses are dangerous in the previous example. She was working with two admitted atheists and had not tried to convert either of them. She knew she was letting two souls go to hell, and did nothing.
This is why I love it when people try to get me to do their religion. I know they truly care about me, and they want me to have what they have. So, religious people. Don't ever stop trying to convert. Save as many souls as you can, it shows you care.
No comments:
Post a Comment